Family Support Subsidy Program
The Family Support Subsidy is a program through the State of Michigan available to help families who care for their children with severe disabilities at home.
This program is designed to prevent or delay placement of disabled children outside of the home, allowing families to stay together. Families may be eligible for this program if they have a child under age 18 who has been identified by Michigan’s public school system as having an educational eligibility category of:
- cognitive impairment (CI)
- severe multiple impairment (SXI) or
- autism spectrum disorder (ASD)
The following qualifications are used to determine eligibility:
- The child is under the age of 18
- The educational eligibility letter from an accredited school (ex. West Shore ESD, Newaygo Co. RESA)
- The child lives at home with at least one of their natural parents or their legal guardian
- The family has a Michigan taxable income of $60,000 per year or less
- The family cannot already receive reimbursement from the Medical Subsidy Program for Adoptive Children
The following items are needed when applying for the Family Support Subsidy:
- Proof of Income: A copy of your most recent Michigan State Tax Return (form MI-1040.) Federal tax returns are not accepted. *If you do not file taxes, you will need to fill a “Request and Consent for Disclosure of Michigan Tax Return Information” form.
- Verification letter from the ESD stating your child’s educational category. *To assure the validity of school documentation and guard against fraud, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services requires this letter verifying educational eligibility come directly from the school. Copies of IEPC’s cannot be accepted unless they come directly from the school.
- Proof of Identity: A copy of your child’s legal birth certificate (or copy of court order showing legal guardianship) and a copy of your child’s Social Security card. *These are only required for your initial application.
To request an application or to ask questions, please contact Jessica Vos, Family Support Subsidy Coordinator for Lake, Mason and Oceana counties, at (231) 843-5427. You may also send your name, phone number, your child’s name and your home address to: JessicaV@wmcmhs.org with the subject “FSS application.” We will send your application in the mail no later than the next business day.